Monday, March 23, 2009

What if I poop Jesus out?

Yep, that was what my son asked me in the bathroom last night. It never ceases to amaze me the way his little mind works. We've told him that Jesus can live in your heart and we've read books about Jesus being inside you, so he must have put two and two together and thought that if you pushed hard enough, you can poop him out. Thank goodness it doesn't work that way. I told him, "no, once Jesus is in your heart, he is there to stay."
It's a tough thing teaching him about Jesus and being a christian at such a young age. I know this will sound weird, but I don't want him to get "saved" at young age. I'm afraid he'll have a false sense of security if he does. I thought I accepted Jesus as my savior July 1993 (I would've been a freshman in HS). But I asked Him into my heart twice before that also. I grew up in a christian home so I always knew what to do and I think that's why I did it. It was what I was supposed to do. I remember the first time, it was because my sister was wanting to get saved. The second time it was because the sermon was just preached on hell and I was scared to death and didn't want to go there. The third time was at summer camp where emotions run high and that's all it was. It wasn't until 1997 that I know without a doubt that if I died, I would go to heaven. There was no one around and I was driving in my car and just went through an intersection. I knew then and there that I needed Jesus. I just don't want my children to second guess their salvation like I always did. While it would be wonderful to be able to say that my son asked Jesus into his heart when he was 5, I would have a hard time believing that he knew and understood what he was doing. That's just me. I'm sure many people who get saved at a young age are truly saved. I'm just saying what I prefer for my children. I can only pray and teach him about Jesus and hope that when the time is right that he will ask Jesus into his heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment